Illustration 1: Ben Heine, "Barack Obama's Toughest Opponent: Himself". Ben on Articon
Illustrations 2, 3 & 4: Michael Thompson. 2: "Single Payer Insurance is the way". 3: "Single Payer Solution", 4: "NO more PAY-or-DIE Healthcare $ystem!." Michael on Flickr.
Q: What would it take to get single payer enacted?
A: "First, we have to take back the White House, the Senate and the House," Obama said at the time.
FAST FORWARD SIX YEARS:
A: In a speech this week in Chicago before the American Medical Association, Obama made clear he was now opposed to Single Payer health care. And, his lieutenants suggested that Obama would support legislation to make sure that single payer does not become a reality in America.
WHAT'S THE NET RESULT?
Instead of getting behind single payer, Obama and the Democrats are engaged in the what Dr. Marcia Angell, former editor-in-chief at the highly regarded New England Journal of Medicine calls "the futility of piecemeal tinkering."
Earlier this week, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimated that the most liberal of the Democrats' tinkering plans would cost $1 trillion over ten years and still leave 37 million Americans uninsured.
On the other hand, single payer would cost less than we are overpaying now -- and cover everyone.
- Save $400 billion a year in bloated corporate administrative and executive compensation costs.
- Free choice of doctor and hospital. Use that money to insure everyone.
- No bills, no co-pays, no deductibles.
- No exclusions for pre-existing conditions -- because under single payer, you are insured from the day you are born.
- No bankruptcies due to medical bills.
- No deaths due to lack of health insurance.
- Cheaper. Simpler. More affordable.
- Everybody in. Nobody out.
Single Payer Action now wants to supercharge the grassroots movement for single payer by confronting members of Congress back home around the country - laying the groundwork for a national citizen's organization that will refuse to compromise with corporate power -- inside the beltway and out.
Many progressives are now confused because they took Obama at his word. They thought once Obama was elected President, he would do the right thing.
Clearly, he's NOT.
Live your values. Love your country.
And, remember: TOGETHER, We can make a DIFFERENCE!